You booked a trip with your spouse as a romantic getaway. But what was supposed to be a relaxing trip ended up becoming your worst nightmare. When an accident occurs on a cruise ship, you may be wondering what legal rights you have. And that’s why you need Fellerman & Ciarimboli as your cruise ship lawyers.
The laws that apply to cruises typically fall under maritime law. But what is that exactly? Also called admiralty law, or admiralty, maritime law is the body of legal rules that governs ships and shipping.
While you may think personal injury law is all you need, it’s rather important to the outcome of your case to know the rules of maritime. For example, these cases are heard in federal court most commonly, however, the plaintiff can elect to file the suit in their state court but with the federal laws still in practice. However, tickets for a cruise often place restrictions on where an injury action can be brought.
When it comes to maritime cases, you will need an attorney who can navigate personal injury claims of negligence for events such as:
- Medical malpractice
- Injuries at a spa or salon
- Physical or sexual assault
- Bar liabilities
In addition, knowing the terms of your ticket value are important. For example, this can alter the statute of limitations to one year instead of three, and notice of such actions may be required much sooner.
Common Cruise Ship Accidents
We may think of the most horrific cruise ship accidents when we think of such events. But in reality, there is an entire spectrum of incidents that can occur. The most common cruise ship accidents are:
- Slip and Fall: Just like being at home or out in your own community, slip and fall accidents can happen. But even though they may be accidental, it doesn’t mean you need to be held financially responsible for any of the procedures or appointments you may need on land.
- Medical Malpractice: If you become ill or sustain an injury on your cruise, you may visit a doctor or nurse on board for minor fixes. However, when your illness or injury is much worse than anticipated and improperly diagnosed, failure to receive adequate treatment may result in additional complications for you. In addition, if the doctor or nurse makes a quick-fix to your injury and it makes the problem worse, you need to seek legal guidance once you come ashore.
- Accidents while on an excursion: Even if your injury occurs at an excursion off the boat, many times these activities you pay for are in partnership with the cruise line you are with. But if you fall while hiking, a cord breaks while bungee jumping or a tour guide simply does not give directions, you may be able to seek damages against the cruise ship company.
What can I recover from a claim? – Cruise Ship Accidents
If you are injured as a result of the negligence of a cruise ship company, you may be entitled to damages, including:
- Medical costs
- Rehabilitation costs
- Loss of wages
- Inhibited earning capacity
- Wrongful death claims
- Pain and suffering
However, time is of the essence. You need to document your case and be prepared to show proof. You’ll also need a cruise ship accident attorney who can represent you in your injury claim.
Fellerman & Ciarimboli Will Take on Cruise Lines to Fight For Your Rights
Just because your accident occurs out at sea doesn’t mean you aren’t able to recover damages for those incurred losses. Let Fellerman & Ciarimboli take on your cruise ship accident case. Contact us today for a free consultation.