A press release from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation reveals DUI checkpoints to be put in place over the coming holiday weekend along with some 4th of July statistics concerning driving under the influence.
Last year between the dates of June 30 and July 9, 256 alcohol-related crashes were reported, totaling in 11 deaths. This number is luckily down from 2012, which reported 355 alcohol-related crashes and 20 deaths in a similar time period.
Outside of motor vehicle accidents, a total of 411 people were arrested for driving under the influence last July 3 to July 7 last year.
PennDOT announces that checkpoints will be stationed in Larksville, Courtdale, and Plains starting Thursday the 3rd through Wednesday the 9th.
At Fellerman and Ciarimboli, we see too many tragedies that come about as a result of alcohol use and driving. Be sure to stay off the road if you have been drinking. Tragic accidents involving alcohol can be devastating to drivers, passengers and other motorists using the roadways. It is never worth the risk that is taken in these circumstances. Enjoy your holiday weekend and be sure to stay safe.
Now that you have some of the serious statistics, here’s a look at what 4th of July fireworks events are planned for this weekend in our area!
- Thursday, July 3: Hazleton, Harman-Geist Stadium, Dusk (Rain Date July 5)
- Thursday, July 3: Mountain Top, Wright Twp. Park, Dusk (Rain Date July 5)
- Thursday, July 3: Nanticoke, GNA Football Field, Dusk
- Friday, July 4: Wilkes-Barre, Kirby Park, Dusk
- Thursday, July 3: Scranton, Courthouse Lawn, Dusk
- Friday, July 4: Moosic, PNC Field, Following the Game
- Friday, July 4: Clarks Summit, Abington Heights Middle School, Dusk (Rain Date July 5)
- Saturday, July 5: Clifford, Hurricane Hills Sports Center, 9:00 PM
- Saturday, July 5: Jessup, Veteran’s Memorial Stadium, 9:30 PM (Rain Date July 6)
- Saturday, July 5: Moscow, North Pocono Football Stadium, Dusk (Rain Date July 6)
- Saturday, July 5: Moosic, PNC Field, Following the Game
Check out these events and be sure to enjoy the long weekend. Happy 4th of July from Fellerman & Ciarimboli Law Firm!
With more than 40 years of combined experience, the personal injury attorneys at Fellerman & Ciarimboli strive to provide the best service to clients in Philadelphia, Northeast Pennsylvania, and throughout the Keystone State.