We know safety is important. While we have typically focused on workplace safety and health measures during the last months, it’s important to be reminded of the potential dangers within our own homes and communities. June is National Safety Month and our team of personal injury attorneys at Fellerman & Ciarimboli want to offer you preventative measures you can take to avoid slip and fall accidents within your environment.
What are the most common causes of slip and fall accidents?
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, at any time. While we often hear of slippery grocery store floors and workplace injuries, sometimes accidents just happen. Some of the most common slip and fall accidents that occur include:
- Tripping on uneven surfaces like loose floorboards, rugs, mats, and even slight declines down
- Potholes in parking lots
- Falling on slippery surfaces in kitchens like oil, grease or water
- Tripping on trash or debris
- Being unable to see due to bright lights, causing injury
- Cords placed across walkways
- Open desks, cabinets, and storage units
- Transitions from carpet to wood
While these are often simple mistakes, the end result can be catastrophic. But there are measures you can take in your own home to prevent such injury.
How to Prevent These Accidents
Accidents happen, but if we can help prevent them from injuring ourselves or others, we should. Some common practices you can follow to decrease the likelihood of slip and fall accidents include:
- Housekeeping and Safety. A clean home, office, or workspace can lead not only to an increased amount of productivity but create a safer environment too. Make a list of things that may need repair or need to be reviewed by a repairman. Being cognizant of such hazards is part of being safe. If it’s in your workplace and you notice some housekeeping items are being forgotten, let a supervisor know that you think some changes need to be made for everyone’s well being.
- Wet and Slick Surfaces. If a floor is wet, sticky or slippery, make sure you handle the mess right away. If you forget about it and end up falling, you can be in a lot of trouble. In the workplace, be sure to utilize wet floor signs and absorber mats when the weather is rainy or snow-laden.
- Proper Lighting. Accidents are bound to happen when poor lighting is a factor. Be it slip and fall accidents, cuts, etc. having adequate lighting is not only important for vision but for safety at home and at work.
- Be mindful. Accidents can happen anywhere. It’s important to be mindful of your actions and the actions of others. At home, you can take bigger safety measures like installing handrails. At work, let someone know if there is a safety issue that can be improved before an accident occurs.
Safety is important. But if an accident occurs, know that we have your back.
Slip And Fall Accident Lawyers: Fellerman & Ciarimboli
Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere. It’s important to practice safety when you can. But when an accident occurs at work or in a public space, know that there is justice to be had.
At Fellerman & Ciarimboli, results matter. We know what it takes to prove liability in slip and fall accidents. The time to act is now. Contact the Philadelphia, Wilkes-Barre, and Scranton slip and fall accident lawyers at Fellerman & Ciarimboli today for a free consultation of your case.
With more than 40 years of combined experience, the personal injury attorneys at Fellerman & Ciarimboli strive to provide the best service to clients in Philadelphia, Northeast Pennsylvania, and throughout the Keystone State.