For almost 20 years, the Philadelphia pedestrian accident lawyers at Fellerman & Ciarimboli have been helping injury victims in Philadelphia, Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and across PA. We understand the pain and anxiety you’re going through and work hard to make sure your voice is heard. We’ll fight for your interests both inside and outside the courtroom and make sure you are properly compensated for your injuries.
Pedestrian Accidents Happen More Often Than You Think
Don’t think that pedestrian accidents happen that often? Think again. A recent article from the Wall Street Journal has found that pedestrian deaths are at a nearly 30-year high, thanks to the prevalence of smartphones and SUVs. According to the article, an estimated 6,227 people died on foot from car accidents nationwide last year alone, the most since 1990.
Pedestrian deaths now account for about 16 percent of motor vehicle crash deaths in the United States, up from 12 percent only a decade ago. In fact, pedestrians are one and a half times more likely to be killed in a car crash than the occupants of the vehicle.
What Do You Do If You’re Hit By Vehicle
You’re walking across the street when a car fails to stop for you. You’re hit and severely injured. What are your next steps?
This is a scary situation to think about and but it can happen. And if it happens to you, you need to know what you should do to get compensation for your injuries.
- First, stay calm. It can be difficult after such an accident but getting upset could make things worse.
- Call the police and emergency services, even if you’re not injured.
- If you can, try to get contact information from the driver. If the car had fled the scene, try to remember the color and make of the vehicle. If you can, take a photo of the vehicle’s license plate.
- Get photos of the scene. This includes the car, the surrounding area, the street signs, anything that may be of use later on.
- Seek medical attention as soon as you can. You should also take photos of your injuries. These can come in handy when you file your claim.
- Get a lawyer. We can help you with your insurance claim and file a personal injury lawsuit.