Delivery trucks are a common sight in Pennsylvania. We rely on these drivers to get our goods from one destination to another. But many of these drivers face tight deadlines, which can lead to careless driving or bad decision making. This can result in an accident with serious injuries for all involved.
If you were injured in an accident with a delivery truck driver, you need to know your legal rights. There could be multiple parties responsible for your accident and you wading through the insurance claim process can be a nightmare.
At Fellerman & Ciarimboli, our Philadelphia delivery truck accident lawyers understand the complexities involved in these types of cases. We spend day and night, fighting for our clients’ rights to make sure that you are properly compensated for your injuries.
Delivery Truck Accidents: What You Should Know
According to a recent report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, delivery workers and truck operators have incurred the greatest number of fatal workplace injuries in 2016. The leading cause of these fatal injuries was the result of a transportation accident; at 40 percent, it is the most common fatal event for these workers in 2016.
What is the cause of all these fatal accidents? According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the number one cause of fatal crashes is human error.
Some of the most common causes for delivery truck errors include:
- A sudden stop by the driver looking for a particular address to deliver a package.
- Cargo that was either overloaded in the vehicle, causing it to be unbalanced, or not properly secured
- Blocked visibility because the truck had stopped at a busy location, constricting the flow of traffic
- Distracted driving, such as a driver texting or looking at a GPS to find the next location instead of the busy road
- A driver who may be intoxicated
- Poor training of the driver by the delivery company