Safe Winter Driving Tips
Freezing temperatures, ice and snow make for hazardous driving conditions in northeast Pennsylvania and across the country during the winter months. Vehicles need to be prepared in advance for safer winter driving. Checking your tires, car battery, windshield wipers, wiper fluid and antifreeze will all help to ensure your car is ready for icy roads and adverse conditions. Read on for more details on safe winter driving tips.
Make sure your heating and defrost systems are also in proper working order before heading out. Keeping your car stocked with certain items during the winter months will help in case of emergency. A flashlight, flares, jumper cables, blanket, boots, water, snack, shovel, broom, ice scraper and anti-skid material such as kitty litter will all help if you get stuck in the snow. Be sure your cell phone battery is charged in case you need to call for help. Here are a few more tips from Fellerman & Ciarimboli for safer winter driving.
Safety Winter Driving Tips
- Be sure to clean all snow and ice from your car before driving to ensure proper visibility.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full.
- Slow down and drive at a safe speed, taking into consideration the weather, visibility, and condition of the road surface.
- Leave plenty of space between your vehicle and the vehicle in front of you. Sliding on the ice or snow causes many car collisions and car accidents.
- Beware of black ice and the surface condition of bridges and ramps.
- If your tires lose traction, continue to steer in the direction in which you want to move.
- Pass with care, as passing lanes are not always as well maintained.
- Brake gently.
- Stock your car with suggested safety items.
- Always wear your seat belt.
Before heading out, check the weather report and determine the best route for traveling. If the weather is bad and you don’t have to drive, stay home. If you need to go out, try to avoid hills or other dangerous roads during icy or snowy conditions. Are you well prepared for winter driving? You can take the Winter Safe Driver Quiz at Just Drive PA and find out.
The Philadelphia, Scranton, and Wilkes-Barre personal injury lawyers at Fellerman & Ciarimboli encourage you to drive with care this winter. The snow and ice present a number of challenges and it is always best to allow plenty of time for travel and to arrive at your destination safely. If you or a loved one has been injured in a winter car accident call a Philadelphia car accident lawyer at 215-575-9237 or a Wilkes-Barre car accident lawyer at 570-714-HURT.
With more than 40 years of combined experience, the personal injury attorneys at Fellerman & Ciarimboli strive to provide the best service to clients in Philadelphia, Northeast Pennsylvania, and throughout the Keystone State.