Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

The Law & You

After Eye Surgery, My Vision is Still Impaired. Can I Sue the Doctor?

The Law & You
July 15, 2013

The Law and You

After Eye Surgery, My Vision is Still Impaired. Can I Sue the Doctor?

After cataract surgery, a viewer’s vision has gotten worse. Thinking something went wrong, the viewer asks the Law and You attorneys if the doctor can be sued. Medical malpractice attorneys Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli offer legal advice.

Dave Kuharchik: Joining us, our sponsors, attorneys Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli. Gentlemen, thanks for being here today.

Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli: Thanks for having us.

Dave: Let’s look at this question about surgery for eye cataracts, “I had some eye surgery for cataracts it’s been a month and my vision is still cloudy. The doc keeps telling me to be patient but I think something went wrong. I could see better before the surgery! Can I sue him?”

Greg: Well, the answer is yes. What we recommend everyone to do is first go back to the doctor and give him the opportunity to try and help you. If that doesn’t work, you have every right to ask for your medical records and go get a second opinion. Once you get the second opinion and you find that something is wrong, then you have every right to take legal action against him if something was done wrong.

Ed: We do medical malpractice work all the time. That’s one of the things we specialize in. They are very difficult cases. What you want to do, if you think you have a case,is to make sure you go to an attorney who has a lot of experience in handling them; The cases are expensive, they’re difficult, and you want to make sure they are doing everything possible to protect you and your rights. If your vision is not coming back, then you’re going to have economic damages and non-economic damages, pain and suffering, things in that nature. You want to make sure you are getting compensation for that. As Greg said, we always say to everybody, “Go back to your doctor, see if they can help you with this problem.” If not, get a second opinion. If you’re still having concerns, go talk to an attorney. They’re gonna have your case reviewed by an expert who’s in the same specialty or sub-specialty as the doctor who did your surgery; They’re going to give you an answer. The answer may be, “Listen, just because you had a bad outcome doesn’t mean there was malpractice.” If there was malpractice, then at least you’ve taken it to someone who has good experience, who handles these kinds of cases, and is protecting your rights.

Dave: Attorneys Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli, for our viewers who may have another question for you, how can they get in touch?

Greg: You can go on our web-site or you can call our office at 570-714-4878.

Ed: If anyone has another “Law & You” question you’d like answered, like us on our Facebook page, post your question, and we’ll do our best to answer it on the next “Law & You” segment.

Dave: Don’t forget results matter with attorneys Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli. You can always catch them here on “The Law & You” every weeknight. Gentlemen, we’ll see you next time.

Greg: Thanks, see you tomorrow.

Dave: Don’t forget, if you have a question for “The Law & You,” head over to

Share This:

The Law & You is a nightly feature on channels WBRE-TV 28 and WYOU-TV 22 where the attorneys from Fellerman & Ciarimboli answer legal questions. If you have a question that you want answered by the Law & You attorneys, please submit the form on this page or call the hotline at 1-888-570-HURT.

The Law & You Archives

Have A Question?

Do you have a question for The Law & You? Please fill out the form below and your question could be answered live on the air.

Recent News

Call Now
Email Now
Back to Top