Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

The Law & You

Can I Sue PennDOT After a Car Accident?

The Law & You
November 17, 2017

The Law and You

Can I Sue PennDOT After a Car Accident?

Is it possible to sue the PA Department of Transportation when there’s an accident? A viewer is wondering after being run off the road and there were no signs. Car accident attorneys Ed Ciarimboli and Corey Suda explain the legal options available.

Dave Kuharchik: We’re talking about PennDOT in this edition of “The Law & You.” Back with us, attorneys Corey Suda, who’s here for Greg, and Ed Ciarimboli. Thanks for being here.

Ed Ciarimboli: I love PennDOT. They love me!

Dave: I bet they do. Let’s get to our question today and see what’s up now. Matt’s in Pittston and says, “Is there any way to sue PennDOT whenever there is a crash? I ran off the road and there we’re no signs.” What’s the story with PennDOT’s responsibility?

Ed: Ironically Matt, I have sued PennDOT for this exact reason and we were successful in this case -a couple if years ago. It really does depend on the nature of the roadway defect. These are tough cases, really difficult cases. You have to get an expert engineer to come out and analyze the roadway to see what the defect was. In this particular situation, if you’re saying you ran off the roadway because the roadway wasn’t appropriately signed, then that is something you can have a viable cause of action against PennDOT. There are a number of things that you must do in order to see if you have a case; I’m going to let Corey tell you about it, you know documentation and evidence. Potentially, you have something here.

Corey Suda: The first thing you have to do is contact your lawyer so he can send an investigator out to the scene. You need to take pictures of the scene to determine if there is the sign defect. You have to have an expert go out, look at the scene, look at if a sign should be in that area of the road way. It’s crucial to get the pictures and get an expert engineer out there to review the scene of the crash.

Ed:  Documents, documents, documents. That’s the only way you can be successful in these cases.

Dave: I already know, in a case like this, it’s important to get an attorney to get on it quick to assess things. Of course, you know the number, you know the web-site. Don’t forget results matter with attorneys Corey Suda and Ed Ciarimboli. Thanks for being here, guys.

Ed: Thanks, Dave

Corey: Thank you.

Dave: and “The Law & You” hotline are there for you.

Share This:

The Law & You is a nightly feature on channels WBRE-TV 28 and WYOU-TV 22 where the attorneys from Fellerman & Ciarimboli answer legal questions. If you have a question that you want answered by the Law & You attorneys, please submit the form on this page or call the hotline at 1-888-570-HURT.

The Law & You Archives

Have A Question?

Do you have a question for The Law & You? Please fill out the form below and your question could be answered live on the air.

Recent News

Call Now
Email Now
Back to Top