Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

The Law & You

My Girlfriend’s Ex-Husband Assaulted Me. Can I Sue Him?

The Law & You
September 18, 2017

The Law and You

My Girlfriend’s Ex-Husband Assaulted Me. Can I Sue Him?

A viewer says his girlfriend’s ex had assaulted him. Although he was criminally charged with simple assault, is it possible for the viewer to sue him? Personal injury lawyers Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli explain the viewer’s legal options.

Dave Kuharchik: “The Law & You” time once again here on Eyewitness News. Back with us, as always, attorneys Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli. Nice to see you guys.

Ed Ciarimboli: We are ready to get it right tonight. Let’s do it.

Dave: They’re ready to rock and roll. Our question tonight comes from Sid in Berwick. Sid says, “I was recently assaulted by my girlfriend’s ex-husband. He was criminally charged with simple assault and I want to sue him. Can,” Sid take some action here simply?

Ed: You certainly can, Sid. You absolutely can bring a civil suit against this guy for what’s called a battery. Now, the question’s going to become, “Can you recover any money from this knucklehead for the damages that he’s done to you?” That’s a different issue. It’s really going to depend on whether this guy owns his own home and has homeowner’s insurance for his house. If so, then you might be able to make a claim for that.

Greg Fellerman: And a lot of times it’s the first question we ask when we get these calls is “Do you think the guy owns his own home,” because there’s insurance.  The insurance would cover this guy’s negligent acts, which would be assault. The other thing, don’t forget, is with a criminal action if you’re successful, you can get restitution through the court for your outstanding medical bills, any future medical bills, anything you show the court that you’re going to need; Then you make a claim for your personal injury, your pain and suffering, and then the civil action so there’s really two components. It’s a double edge case, again.

Dave: And those who need legal advice or maybe direction in a case like this and they want to talk to you, how could they reach you?

Greg: They can call us at 570-714-HURT or see us at the web at

Ed: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat we’re on all of the social media outlets. Put a question on their and we’ll do our best to answer it on an upcoming segment.

Dave: These guys are well connected. Results matter with attorneys Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli we’ll see you guys next time.

Greg and Ed: Thanks Dave.

Dave: and “The Law & You” are there for you.

Share This:

The Law & You is a nightly feature on channels WBRE-TV 28 and WYOU-TV 22 where the attorneys from Fellerman & Ciarimboli answer legal questions. If you have a question that you want answered by the Law & You attorneys, please submit the form on this page or call the hotline at 1-888-570-HURT.

The Law & You Archives

Have A Question?

Do you have a question for The Law & You? Please fill out the form below and your question could be answered live on the air.

Recent News

Call Now
Email Now
Back to Top