Notice: Due to COVID-19, we will be conducting all consultations via video chat, phone, or email. Please don’t hesitate to call us if you have any questions!

The Law & You

The School Refuses to Accommodate My Son’s Disability. Can We Do Something?

The Law & You
March 9, 2018

The Law and You

The School Refuses to Accommodate My Son’s Disability. Can We Do Something?

A viewer is seeking legal advice in the case of her son, who is dyslexic. The school has refused to accommodate him and wants to know what can be done. Fellerman & Ciarimboli attorneys Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli explain the situation.

Dave Kuharchik: It’s time once again for the “Law & You,” featuring the guys that know just about it all. Attorneys Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli, good to see you guys.

Ed Ciarimboli: If you asked my wife, she would never agree with that.

Dave: She wouldn’t agree with that, huh?

Ed: No way.

Dave: Well, let’s see what you know tonight about this one. This is a tough scenario in school here. Nancy from Freeland asked, “My son is dyslexic and the school refuses to give him any accommodations. Is there anything that we can do to help him?” Now, don’t they have to accommodate him?

Ed: Well, the answer to that question is yes if he has what’s called an IEP, which is an Individualized Education Plan. So if he does not have an IEP, then they don’t have to accommodate him. You have got to fight tooth and nail in order to get an IEP put in place for your son so that he can have the appropriate accommodations. You know, our son Josh had dyslexia and we had to fight like heck in order to get it done. But it got done and it benefited him well.

Greg Fellerman: And a lot of times, the school administration will work with you to get that IEP in place and hopefully be able to get a program that will help your son. However, if that process breaks down, there are ways to litigate these. There are some attorneys who specialize in that type of work. So the real thing is you got to be aggressive. And if it doesn’t go the way you want, you got to pick up the phone and give us a call so we can get you to a lawyer that will help.

Ed: Absolutely.

Dave: And I know that sometimes you do that, you may run into something that there is a case but you may not handle it per se. So if someone needs a referral or to talk to you about resources, how can they reach you?

Greg: Well, just call us at 570-714-HURT, you can see us on the web at We do a lot. We have a huge client base where people call and unfortunately we don’t do everything, we stay in our lane. So we would refer you out to somebody. It’s very helpful because we have a good group of people.

Dave: That’s why I say you know just about it all. Results matter with attorneys Greg Fellerman and Ed Ciarimboli. Thanks guys, see you next time.

Share This:

The Law & You is a nightly feature on channels WBRE-TV 28 and WYOU-TV 22 where the attorneys from Fellerman & Ciarimboli answer legal questions. If you have a question that you want answered by the Law & You attorneys, please submit the form on this page or call the hotline at 1-888-570-HURT.

The Law & You Archives

Have A Question?

Do you have a question for The Law & You? Please fill out the form below and your question could be answered live on the air.

Recent News

Call Now
Email Now
Back to Top